Saturday 17 May 2014

When you just cannot pray...


Right now, I cannot pray, I just don’t have the words. Or even the desire, despite the fact that if ever there was a time for me to wear out my knees....this is it. Why?

You won’t believe how many hundreds of people are in the same boat. We always say 'pray, just pray' but sometimes when it comes down to it you just can’t.  And we never talk about that. Often the reason people will give you is ‘it's the enemy blocking you’, yes, sometimes he is causing your mind to race and fail to focus on God, sometimes it’s grief; anger; fear; analysis paralysis....the reasons are myriad. Our problems can make us numb, to the point that we don’t even know what to say or where to start.

I have had these disturbing phases where in the middle of a ‘standard’ prayer I just burst into tears. It is at those times when I really cannot think or put into words the deepest things that I am feeling. Some people thought it was nerves but that was when I had to pry but felt nothing, so resorted to the age old tradition of the ‘rote’ prayer I have been praying since I was a child

Remember and try this......

·         Praying is conversing with God. It doesn’t have to be formal and with a particular style

·         Make it a routine

·         Say whatever you need to say

·         Ask others to pray for you too.....Gal 6:2
 


The holy spirit is also there to intercede for you, when you can’t, to step in and take over for you. Lean and rely on the promises of god....he will never take you where you cannot go.

No comments:

Post a Comment